Question
Posted by: Margaret | 2010/01/18

Son refuses to eat

Hi doc

My son (4 and a half years) refuses to eat anything that looks ' broken'  - e.g. he wouldn' t eat a slice of cheese if it' s " chipped"  on the one size. He also won' t eat bread if a small piece has broken off. He refuses to eat any food that' s mixed. His rice must be in a " pile" , his meat must be in a " pile"  next to it etc. This behaviour does not appear anywhere else in his life. His teacher at nursery school says he' s very happy and adapts easily to situations. Should I be concerned?

Kids, especially at that age, do at times develop eccentric and peculiar issues about food. I don't think you need to be greatly concerned. Would it be practical to work with him so that HE cuts the slice of cheese, and spoons out his rice, etc., so he both has more control over it, and sees how difficult it is to make all helping as perfect as he seems to desire ?

3
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/19

Not abnormal. Try not to give in all the time though. Missing a meal here or there won' t kill him. Kids use food to manipulate us, I' ve got a master manipulator at home. Also post on the parenting forum for advice.

Reply to Maria