Posted by: mondes | 2009-08-04

Son of 16

Dear Doc,
My son is 16 and in grade 10. He is battling with his school work especially maths. He failed in June and I' ve advised him to change his subjects because he has been struggling since grade 8. He has not done that and he has developed a bad attitude. I am a single parent and I do speak to him about his future and I give lots of advise to him. He does not tell the truth, he won' t admitt that he is battling with school work. I have tried to help him with his work but he is not interested.
Please help.

Expert ImageTeen expert

One point of contact would be the school counsellor who may be able to either offer suggestions of how the school can assist, or maybe even meet with your son and see if he will speak with them.

He possibly feels embarrassed about his difficutlies, and as a result is reluctant to speak about them. Offering positive support and discussions that are not about problems will help him begin to feel a bit better about himself. Knowing that whatever his dificulties may be that he is still valuable is important for him at this stage.

It may also help if he is willing for him to see a Psychologist so that he has a supportive space that he can take ownership of.

Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2009-08-04

Maybe u should phone the school and speak to the guidance counsellor. Kids sometimes prefer to talk to someone else. What about his dad cant he speak to him.

Reply to Tinkerbell