Question
Posted by: WORRIED mom | 2013/02/17

Q.

son of 14 smoking weed

i''ve got no idea how to handle this situation...this is the 3rd time we have caught him, the 1st time he was 13 and we found it in his bag, he claimed he got it from a 19 year old kid that did boot camp with him, just because he wanted to have the seeds....a couple of months later he confessed out of his own that he has been smoking for awhile and wants to quit. Last night his father caught him with his 22 year old cousin smoking...He does struggle with depression and is ADHD please tell me what to do!!! Obviously he is promising that he won''t again, and i am telling him that i trust and beilieve him, but I am not sure...

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

Given the number of times that you have caught him the promise of not doing it again seems somewhat empty. If he struggles with depression and ADHD smoking weed regularly is going to exacerbate his condition and also counteract any medication he may be on.

I would recommend that you make contact with Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre at www.drugcentre.org.za If you do not live in Cape Town they will be able to advise your nearest facility for further advice.

3
user comments
Posted by: Bradley Bourne | 2013/05/14

firstly i agree with this comment "sit with him and ask him what the reason for him smoking is and be level with him. don't scare him or make him feel like he cant be honest with you." I started smoking weed at the age of 15, my parents had a fair discussion with me where i could view my opinion, any way i kept smoking until the age of 18, but then i stopped and became a lifeguard. The reason i stopped was becuase i felt valued and cared about by my parents, and that made me want to better myself. to this day im ciggarette and weed free. As for the ADHD that your son has, weed will counter act some of the symtoms as it has many medical properties, many patiens use it for pain and depression relief. Please take the time to learn more about marijuwana, relay the information to your son notify him of the good and bad sides of it. abuse of this substance is usually becuase of the lack of knowlage of the substance. I would like you to read this with an open mind and do not worry about the Terminology and the big words, just focus on the information. http://www.disabled-world.com/medical/pharmaceutical/marijuana/

Reply to Bradley Bourne
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/02/28

obviously drugs at a young age is extremely bad. Maybe try take the ground that it has extremely bad effects on your life when you start young. Its possible the weed makes him feel calmer and that why he does it. what ever the reason i suggest you sit with him and ask him what the reason for him smoking is and be level with him. don't scare him or make him feel like he cant be honest with you. tell him when he is older then its his decision what happens with his health and life but right now you are responsible for him and you just want to help.

Posted by: Michelle | 2013/02/28

I started smoking weed at the age of 12 and it progressed to me being an ex crack and heroin addict...stop it now while you can, before he gets bored with weed and tries other things.... My daughter is 13 and also confessed to 'trying' weed, I keep on telling her that "once you try it and like it" it's so hard to stop...

Reply to Michelle

Want to comment?