Question
Posted by: Worried mum | 2009-02-18

Son not interested in schoolwork

Please! I am in desperate need of advice.
My son of 11years shows no interest in schoolwork. He has such an understanding supportive teacher and at home his family will assist him anytime and always. I have tried so much of medication over the years, took him for evaluation as well as councelling. I have spent thousands of rands on all this. Now I have given up. I am yearning to know what to do next.
Please tell me.
Will you please reply to my email address?

Expert ImageTeen expert

firstly I am wondering when you ask your son why he has no interest in school work what doeshe say? What have the assessments indicated? Does he have any learning disabilities for example?

He may be a person who does not thrive academically and as a resuly takes no interest. As he gets older there are more vocationally-based matric programmes. For now bear in mind that he is only 11 and all the pressure around assessments, medication and doing well may be too much for him. He also needs time to be a child and play. He has time to catch up academically as he isnt even in high school yet. Try taking the pressure off and see how he responds.

Whilst it can make parents anxious - ultimately your son as he develops will come to understand that he has to shape his future and he is the one that needs to put the work in.

1
Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-06

I believe its normal for any child not to be interested in schoolwork. Does he show other interests eg sports or hobbies? I get the impression there is too much pressure put on this little boy!