Question
Posted by: Tayla | 2008/06/04

Son never rests

Good day. Could you perhaps help. My son who is 21 years old seems to have a problem. He walks around the house constantly and never sits still. He cannot relax. If he does sit still he rolls his hands in a circular motion non-stop and/or fans out the pages of a magazine he may be reading. I also notice that he appears to speak to himself as well. I presume this is obsessive compulsive disorder but there are days I feel tired just watching him. If I don't tell him to sit down and relax, he would be on his feet all day. He also has a habit of jumping up and down in one spot. Please can you give me your opinion and whether he should be put on medication.

It does indeed sound as though he is restless and troubled, though this sort of picture could be caused by many different situations --- it could be obsessive-compulsive behaviour ; or an effect of drugs being taken either therapeutically or recreationally ; or a neurological condition ; or a variety of ADHD, or anxiety and stress, or an agitated Depression. Whatever it is, he does deserve attention, and should be seen by a fgood local psychiatrist for a proper in person assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options based on the results of that.