Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2010/11/23

Son does not want to evacuate bowels

My 10 year old son has a complete mental block (and unrational fear that it will hurt) of evacuating his bowels. He understands that it has to be done, but holds it in even when sitting on the toilet. I have spoken to numerous doctors and even medicated him with laxatives and nothing has worked. This has been going on for 8 years now and when I realised that he now doesn''t want to eat because he knows that it has to come out, it has tipped me over the edge. I am in desperate need of a professional who will be able to talk to him about this problem. I live in Durban.

A vicious cycle can quite easily develop - a child becomes mildly constipated, finds its sore to move his bowels, so he refuses to do so, becoming more constipated and causing more pain when he cant avoid doing so. Ordinary doctors don't usually handle such problems well. Take him to see a good local Child Psychiatrist, who should be able to deal with this, perhaps in consultation with a pediatrician. In the early stages it's easy to deal with, but once it becomes complicated, its beyond the capacity of the average GP or general physician.

Fortunately with the right help, both directly for the bowels and to help the child psychologically, it can be relatively soon resolved, and with proper bowel care, should not recur.

1