Question
Posted by: CL | 2009-02-19

Son (Aged8) ADHD Hyper:Behavour Problems

Dear Cybershrink

My son, aged 8 (turning 9 at the end of April 2009) is ADHD, Hyperactive. He was on Methylphenidate until late last year. He is now taking Ritalin LA20mg - once daily. The Psychiatrist told me that the Methylphenidate dosage he was on before was insufficient for his age/ weight.

Lately, he has been very rude, obnoxious, ugly and insulting to his sister. My daugther, aged 10 is a litte chubby like me and my husband is a Physically Challenged person, since he had Poliio as a baby. So, therefore I WILL NOT TOLERATE this behavious from him where he calls his sister a pig or a big, fat pig.

He also more that often, tells me he hates me and shouts at me often. I do not understand what is going on with him.

I do know that there is a boy at School and aftercare that is very, very, very naughty and that I' ve forbidden my son to interact with this boy. Yet, he doesn' t listen to me and I have to hear how naughty the two of them were.

I' ve recently enrolled both of them onto a Judo Martial Arts Programme, hoping that this would teach them to get on well with one another, for the sibling rivalry to end and to teach them self-respect, tolerance for other people, discipline, etc. When they go to Judo they are also " away"  from me for approx 90min during which they are on their own and have to deal with their own space. This also gives me a gap.

I am constantly taking Rivotril 2mg tablets to keep calm and I battle to handle my son. We have tried all sorts of punishment for him (e.g. naughty corner, gating him in his room, no TV, taking toys away, including the odd spanking on the bottom, etc.) BUT NOTHING WORKS ANYMORE.

Help please!!!

Anon

I understand your concerns, but as the boy has been properly assessed by a psychiatrist and is still under his care, that shrink would be far better placed to respond to your question than I can be. And the psychiatrist should, knowing both o you, be able to suggest a re-working of the other methods you have used, into a more consistent regime to teach him discipline at this stage of his life. And you and your husband musy, of course, stick to the agreed program consistently, so he can't try to play one of you off against the other