Posted by: Scared Mum | 2010-02-18

Son 17

I have a 17 year old who had attempted suicide in 2008. He has been doing fine and is happy again. I am worried that he will attempt suicide again. He is not on medication and is not seeing a therapist. Do I have a reason to be concerned?

Expert ImageTeen Suicide guest experts

Dear Scared Mum,
Did your son go for therapy and get help after his attempted suicide? It's difficult to be able to really advise you without knowing certain information, but if he got the help he needed and is happy, then just because he is no longer in therapy doesn't mean he is at risk. I would advise you to call SADAG on 011 262 6396 and talk to one of our counsellors so we can get more information and guide you more comprehensively. An attempted suicide is always scary and we worry about our loved ones, but unless he is showing signs that are concerning, he's ok.

Posted by: Scared Mum | 2010-02-18

He never got any help. He just snapped out of it by himself.

Reply to Scared Mum