Posted by: Christine | 2012-10-11

I am a 50 year old woman. I take an anti-depressant in the morning and a sleeping tablet at night and have done so for the last 27 years. I started having panic attacks when I got pregnant with my son, and my doctor at the time prescribed the meds. I tried to stop taking the meds several times, but kept on getting panic attacks as soon as I stop taking them. My doctor informed me that I would have to take the meds for the rest of my life. Lately I find that I cannot recall simple words when I am talking to somebody, I do not have this problem when I am writing. Can this be the onset of early Alzheimers? Or just a regular getting-older thing? Could it have something to do with the meds? Thanks in advance.

Your forgetfulness can be due to a number of factors. Stress, medication, your age etc. can all be possibilities. I suggest that you consult a neurologist for an examination and special tests to exclude any underlying cause. I also suggest that you consult a psychiatrist to assist with stress management and to re-evaluate your medication. Obviously, after 27 years, there has been leaps and bounds made in the treatment of anxiety and depression.