Posted by: worried student | 2009-04-28

something' s wrong

Dear Dr Bets

I' m a 20 year old female student. I had a pain in the region of my left ribs, which felt like I got a hard knock somewhere (but I didn' t) and it was a bit swollen. Then it went away, but it came back a week ago. And now, the pain in my ribs seem to have moved to a region between the left (left as seen from the front) of my lower back and my side. It hurts when I take deep breaths. My eating habbits havn' t been that good  I hardly eat any vegetables. I' ve also been under a lot of stress. Could that be the cause? What' s wrong with me? It' s a constant irritation, cause every time I breathe it causes discomfort. What can I do?

Dear Worried Student
You may have inflammation of the muscles between the ribs or the cartilage of the ribs (Tietze syndrome) often caused by a virus. It may help to use Voltaren gel on the area and to take a combination of an anti-inflammatory and pain tablet like Mypaid if you are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
If it persists, rather let your GP have a look at the area