Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010-12-07

Some help understanding

My dad (56) has motor neuron disease and was diagnosed 5 years ago. He has suddenly become much worse. He has been in and out of hospital and now has been sent home as they can do no more for him. The specialist did some tests 10 days apart and said he deteriated badly in just that short time again. He cant breate without oxygen and is confined to a bed now. He just sleeps most of the day. The specialist says his heart and lungs cannot work effectivly anymore- hence the extreme fatigue.

We live far away, and we would like to go see him before he dies. Does he have heartfailure? We can go in 2 weeks time. The specialist said they cannot give us a timeframe. It can be 6 days or 2 years.

Hallo BMJ
The problem with motor neuron disease is that the muscles of the heart and diaphragm/ribs fail which can cause heart failure and or respiratory failure. If he deteriorated badly in 10 days, it is not a good sign. I would advise you to see him as soon as possible, as these things are totally unpredictable,and at least you will be able to talk to him before he is unable to communicate with you anymore.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-12-07

Hallo BMJ