Question
Posted by: Critical | 2009-09-08

Some constructive criticism

CS, thank you for all the good advice you give people. It is appreciated, especially as you reply so promptly, compared to the other experts on this site!
I have one problem that is bothering me a lot. Maybe it is just me. I really intend this to be constructive criticism and not just being critical.
People who post their problems to you, are often very careless about their grammar, spelling and language. Let them do as they seem fit, but you, as a professional, should be more careful of your spelling, I think! I know it is from typing fast and not reading what you typed again. I do not post anything online(even emails to friends) without checking again for typing and spelling errors, and then I sometimes still make mistakes! But it is a matter of pride for me, just who I am.
A little mistake once in a while is fine, but your answers are really full of errors-almost every second word! It is sometimes difficult to understand what you are saying, because one has to guess or decipher the words!
I am sorry for pointing this out to you. I just really feel strongly about how careless people have become in grammar and spelling and language in general. It is really just sloppy.
If you or the readers feel this criticism is unnecessary, then leave it as it is. I still read this column regularly.
I don' t mean to be condescending. sorry if it sounds that way!
Thanks again for all your hard work on this site and for the good, compassionate person you obviously are.
Keep well!

Don't forget that there is no spell-check facility built into the web-browsers people use on sites like this. If I took the time to manually check spelling on each reply, I would have to stay up half the night just working on this site. It is not practical to correct all typos. I think you're also, as a general point, conflating different issues --- typos, which are accidental, and the increasing toleration of deliberate sloppy or bad spelling and textese gimmicks in place of proper spelling.
And sometimes the faults that so apparently irritate you are related to the illnesses and medical problems people have --- I have noticed that since my major head injury / concussion and operations in recent years, my spelling has declined compared with how it used to be. But I'd prefer to communicate effectively, with the occasional typo, than not to communicate at all.
Maybe you're a more obsessive personality than most of us, to be so fussy about your own spelling and that of others. That's fine ; all part of life's rich tapestry. At least bI don['t get anyone complaining about people whose messages contain too much perfect spelling !

2
Posted by: Liz | 2009-09-09

I agree with the expert and the readers reply. As long as the questions and the answers are sensible who cares about the spelling mistake' s after all the advice is free. Just think if you had to phone or visit a Lawyer what the rate would be. Lets not break down anyone !

Reply to Liz
Posted by: Red | 2009-09-08

If it is still readable and makes sense why worry about the spelling errors.

Reply to Red