Question
Posted by: Ryan | 2009-08-18

Some blood in ejaculate - cycling injury?

Hi Doc.

Ive been doing some intensive cycling training on the stationary bike the last week, which means a far more rigid seated position compared to getting out on the trail where you move around a lot more. Both times my entire crotch area was totally numb, and in the following 2-3 days found some blood in my ejaculate. Nothing in the urine however. I have no pain whatsoever, but was quite worried about it. Im taking some time off the saddle, but should i be going to the doc - is it serious?

Dear Ryan
It is quite common and is probably due to the cycling - keep an eye on it - usually it will go away by itself. In rare cases it is a sign of infection or cancer so if it does not go away please see your doctor for a urine test and further examination. See also http://www.prostate-massage-and-health.com/Hematospermia.html