Posted by: Enigma | 2009-08-24

Some advice please

I have been a Manager at my company for 10 years. Have been an integral part of the exceptional growth we have had year on year. Last week I find out our MD is restructuring the company and I might be out of a job. This to me is insane. I have put 150% of myself into my work, we have won numerous awards last year for campaigns I have put together. Now that the recession has hit and things are a bit difficult, he feels a company restructure is the key. It has been 2 weeks since I have heard the news and I have been unbelievably depressed. I have just bought a house and this happens. My wife is trying to be strong, and tells me it will all be ok, but I cannot believe this... It is impossible to get a job these days. When this happens, I loose everything I have worked so hard to achieve. Even getting my CV together seems impossible as I have not updated it in 10 years. I am so worried, anxious and depressed. I feel like giving up.....

Sometimes restructuring is indeed the key --- but not all restructurings, an it is essential to recognize the most valuable and productive staff and to retain them. And not to discuss these prospects with you and others, is bad manners as well as bad business. Work on updating your CV anyway, to reflect all the excellent work you have done recently, and there will surely be other companies eager to benefit from the stupidity of any management prepared to let you go. IS your boss approachable enough to make ti worth discussing this with him, emphasizing the contribution you have made to the company's growth, and the financial predicament he has placed you in ?

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-08-24

No need to give up as it would be stupid letting you go if you are making such a contribution, and should it so happen that you should loose your job I' m sure that something better would come a long as ... Only worry about about this should it happen as for the meantime keep focussing on your best performance sothat there would be no reason for letting you have to go. God be with you ...

Reply to Zexeon