Posted by: Jason | 2009-07-01

I' d like to know if they way one eats should vastly be moulded by the kind of somatype they are? I think i am an Endo-mesomorph (put on fat very easily yet getting fit isn' t a problem. Muscle gains and fat loss is non existant, but strength keeps increasing)
I read up on endomorphic eating which required low carbs. This worked exceptionally well except that as you would have guessed, I eventually plateaued. So I frantically began researching and even had my blood checked, after which it was evident that I was to reintroduce carbs into my diet. I have since done so and have experienced massive fat gains (about 8% gain). I' m working on about 2700cal estimation for maintenance (a calculation you suggested in earlier posts). I have a very balanced diet, carbs, dairy, fibre, protein, veg &  fruit. I' m guessing its about a 60/25/15 split. I' ve tried to find the book BFFM by Tom Venuto but I cannot find it anywhere. My weight training style is based on Mike Mentzer' s " Heavy Duty"  and seems to work. I will increase my cardio but am also told that not all forms of cardio are equal. (wind sprints, short &  intense, etc).
Please help, I' ve been training and " dieting" , went for check ups, the works and my body still has not shifted in composition.

Thank you...

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Jason

You sound desperate and it’s understandable after putting in so much effort. Regarding the different soma types – there is some truth in it, but bottom line still remains how many calories you need versus how many you expend. Thus I presume you gained muscle and lost body fat until you reached your balance point – then there was more muscle that needed feeding and if you wanted further results you would have had to increase your energy (calorie) intake – you did by increasing your carbs and what then must have happened is that you increased by too many calories which lead to fat gains and you think it is because of the carbs – it is actually because of too many calories and in this case the excess came from the carbs. Thus back to the drawing board – even though I calculated your calorie need it is still a calculation and had to be tested in practice –now several things could have happened – maybe it was just too many calories and therefore you will have to drop it by 100-200 calories per week till you find the point where you are in a slight calorie deficit to lose body fat – alternatively it could be that you just dished up more food (calorie value) that what you though you did?

All this said – let’s start again – consume 2500 calories per day with a 50/30/20 split – don’t forget that the 20% should mostly be made up of good fats – these fats act like fat burners – this could be another reason that you were battling – just too low on good fats! Gauge your progress weekly and see if you have to drop a little more calories or maybe add a few – it is like fine tuning a carburetor of a car.

Re the book – Google Tom Venuto – you will not find his books on the shelves in this country – bought mine through – less expensive than – I promise you, you will find many more tips therein.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

Take care