Question
Posted by: ADHDude | 2010/07/17

Somatoform

Dear Cybershrink. I went to another doc as you suggested but they diagnosed me with somatoform disorder because there is no basis or medical explaination for my conditions. I am on Ritalin, prozac

Conditions:
-eyes feel like they are pulling
-pressure in head and eyes and ears
- eyes feel like they are pulling into my skull
- confusion and disorientaion
- pain behind right eye constantly

How do you treat this condition? Thank you for all your answers

Hmmm. Somatoform disorder sounds a reasonable suggestion. Sometimes one can indeed develop a condition which is very painful and unpleasant to experience, and which becomes centrally important to you, and which arises for basically psychological reasons ( though of course the symptoms and their unpleasantness are at least as nasty as if there was an obvious medical cause ) and where milder symptoms arising for whatever original reason are hugely amplified by one's ditress itself and other such psychological factors.
The good news is that there is nothing terribly wrong physically or something that will get worse in a physical / structural sense. That's good news, because that's obviously part of what any sensible person would be worried about. And if you acept the diagnosis, it frees you from what is otherwise an ultimately pointless and expensive and unpleasant process of seeking more and more specialists to hunt for a physical cause that isn't there, which is not only fruitless, but actually delays your sarting work on the more important task of gaining control over tahis psychologically, in ways that Can bring it under control.
The bad news, I suppose, is that because the cause is less definite and easy to define, though it can indeed be cleared up, it needs treatment from a skills psychiatrist familiar with such disorders, and dedicated and brave and active involvement by the patient in working to understand the problem and undo it, to vary the way you have grown into responding to these concerns and symptoms, so as to gradually remove the problem. It can be don, and I think you have the necessary ability to do so.

1