Question
Posted by: CINDY | 2008/12/10

SOLUTION

I HAVE BEEN CONCERNED ABOUT MY INTELLIGENCE FOR A LONG TIME NOW.MY COLLEAGUES SEEM TO BE MORE AHEAD THAN I AM AND I KEEP FORGETTING TO REMEMBER THINGS,I EVEN SOMETIMES DONT UNDERSTAND MY SUPERVISOR WHEN EXPLAINING SOMETHING.WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME, I FEEL INADEQUATE

Sorry to hear you feel so distressed. There could be so many diferent explanations. You may have low self-esteem, and so you judge yourself maybe a bit too harshly, and lack self-confidence --- counselling can help with that. Often one tends to forget things not because one has a memory problem as such, but because one is stressed and flustered,, and doesn't concentrate on the thing in the first place, so it doesn't properly get into your memory. Keeping check-lists, etc., does help. And you're surely intelligent enough for the post opr you are unlikely to have been appointed to it. Maybe you're anxious, too, when your supervisor is explaining something, and anxious people don't understand as well as when they're calm. Or maybe your supervisor isnt very good at explaining things ? Is there an HR dept you could discuss your concerns with ? They might be able to help arange some counselling or further training, to help you

1
Posted by: E | 2008/12/10

Please don' t feel that there is anything wrong with you just because you tend to forget things. Try to write down important things and tasks, simply tick them off when done. sometimes people (suoervisors) don' t have the ability to explain things. Please keep on asking if you don' t understand. Only STUPID people don' t ask! so, feel free and ask if in doubt. Good luck and chin up!

Reply to E