Question
Posted by: Mom of Danielle | 2011/02/08

Solphyllex Syrup

I have given my daughter Solphyllex syrup 10ml morning and evening for the past 3 days for her cough, this morning she started complaining that she cant read (she is 7) and everything blurs, even if she looks on the board in school, can this be the Solphyllex?

Hallo Mom of Danielle
Solphyllex contains theophyllin which can cause caffeine like side effects (insomnia, dizziness, tremors) and it may cause blurred vision in high dosages. Rather stop the Solphyllex and give a cough mixture without theophyllin like Benylin/Bronkese.

12
Posted by: Shawn Morom | 2015/01/08

Does nobody look for safety, clinical trials and effectiveness when giving cough cough mixtures especially to their children??? I give my children Prospan Syrup because it was prescribed by my Paediatrician as the safest and effective option. It has worked very well and at least I can sleep without a worry. None of the 'mixtures' mentioned above has a single trial showing safety or that it even works!!

Reply to Shawn Morom
Posted by: phindi | 2014/09/18

Can a pregnant women drink solphyllex?

Reply to phindi | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Shawn Morom | 2015/01/08

Hi Phindi - no cough mixture can be used in pregnancy and one should rather go to your Gynie for what to use after a risk-benefit assessment has been done.

Posted by: J@khu serumula | 2014/09/03

Im using solphyllex frm now on and well......im getting better

Reply to J@khu serumula
Posted by: mpumi | 2014/07/03

can i use solphyllex syrup for cough as a person suffering from ulcers

Reply to mpumi
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/07

Mother had overdosed on the cough mixture and complaining of muscle spasm and tremors, she is hot and cold, I realized this just a few minutes ago, she has been drinking it all day long, about 100ml cough mixture is missing, what should I do, hospitals here is a big problem.

Posted by: Jason | 2013/12/29

I blame what happened to me yesterday on this cough syrup. I had ataxia, blurred vision, slight visual disturbances, nausea, dizziness and vertigo, concentration problems, short term memory loss, very fatigued, could hardly keep my head up for a few seconds, and feeling as if my flesh was cold and "felt" the warm blood flow through me. It was a really frightening experience! The sxs went away in about 2 - 3 hours. So glad it wasn't food poisoning, since the spinach did taste funny...

Reply to Jason
Posted by: Chrissie Oosthuizen | 2013/10/30

Can a pregnant women drink solphyllex?

Reply to Chrissie Oosthuizen
Posted by: Flora | 2013/09/09

I am using solphyllex i dont have any problem of coughing since i started using it i love solphyllex and i trust it.

Reply to Flora
Posted by: KATY | 2011/06/04

My dr has prescribed solphyllex syrup and antibioticfor me as i have a bacterial throat infection he says it will also treat the mucus /phlem build up I have not just coughing. I have had a head injury recentllt and suffer from dizzeness due to the 3 head fractures I got as my ear was effected and calcium was floating around and going on the hairs and then causing the dizzeness. will taking solphylez syrup be ok for the dizzeness or could it make it more as i see it is a possible side efect ?

Reply to KATY
Posted by: Sue | 2011/05/19

I had 9 seizures in one day after taking Solphyllex. I fell and cut my head open and was hospitalized overnight. My neurologist said that most cough syrups contain drugs that can cause brain isues

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/09

Hallo Mom of Danielle