Question
Posted by: kate | 2011/09/26

Solgar Digestive Enzymes

I have heard that Solgar Digestive Enzymes aid in losing weight. Please can you tell me what are digestive enzymes is it the same as probiotics and what they do?

thank you.

Dear Kate
The human body manufactures a whole range of digestive enzymes such as amylase (found in saliva which starts the digestion of starchy foods), lipase (which helps digest fats) and protease (which helps to digest proteins). By digestion we mean splitting up the foods into carbohydrates, proteins and fats and then further splitting them up into sugars (carbs), amino acids (proteins) and glycerol and fatty acids (fats) so that they can be absorbed into the blood stream and distributed through the body. Some people suffer from enzyme deficiencies (their bodies don't make enough of these enzymes so they can't digest their food properly), for example patients with cystic fibrosis. Such patients need to take enzyme supplements to make sure that their food is properly digested so that they have enough energy and nutrients to stay healthy. I have not heard that such digestive enzymes can make you lose weight - I would think that enzymes that help you digest food thoroughly so that it can be absorbed would contribute to weight gain instead. Probiotics on the other hand are 'good microorganisms' which help to keep your gut healthy and prevent overgrowth of harmful bacteria. It is useful to take probiotics if you suffer from constipation, immune problems, IBS, Candida infection, etc.
I hope this helps a bit

1

Dear Kate
I hope this helps a bit