Question
Posted by: Wally | 2009/04/20

Soles on foot crack

My sole on the one foot (at the back of the ball-part) cracks quite often, especially when not wearing normal work shoes. It heals quite quick, but after a weekend in slip-ons, it cracks again. Is there a ointment I could use to improve the durability or flexibility of the skin on that area?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Wally

The skin on your feet loses a lot of moisture, especially in the heel area. Wearing an open shoe will make this problem worse. This is something I see a lot of in my practice during the summer. Use a pumice stone or equivalent to remove the hard skin then apply a good cream every day. Look for cream or ointment that contains urea such as Neutraplus

Chris