Question
Posted by: Prudence | 2009/11/12

Soil Eater

Hi, i am seven months pregnant and i eat soil. i have been eating it for the past three months. i cant remember why it started but i just cant stop eating soil. im worried that this might affect me and the baby in the long run, please help me.

Dear Prudence
Geophagia and eating any other object that is not food, is a strange phenomenon which has not yet been clearly elucidated. You may suffer from a nutritional deficiency or eat the soil because of a psychological imbalance. I can only suggest that you discuss this problem with the dr or gynae who is overseeing your pregnancy so that you can have blood tests to determine if you do have any deficiencies. If this phenomenon should be psychologically motivated then you will have to consult a clinical psychologist to help you stop this habit that can indeed harm your baby because you may ingest pathogens, etc. In the meanwhile because you know that this is wrong for both of you, exercise your will power and stop eating soil.
I hope you can determine what the cause of this behaviour is so that your unborn child is not exposed to risk.
Take care

32
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/30

This soil eating is a very serious issue I'm addicted too n Im trying to conceive but doh kuyala I HV been eating this thing for 11 yes n I'm now 35plz help ,I want a baby

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/30

Posted by: anonymous | 2016/07/13

does eating soil have an effect in body weight?

Reply to anonymous
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/24

lets nt lie to each other here l dnt hav a demon or any spirits l hav been eating slil for more than 5 years . its just a addiction like cigarette or cocaine just and see a specialist and try to get treatment for your irom and try rehabilitating your self and just pray that the good Lord take yu out of it believe me yu am still struggling even today sometime l relapse ..

Posted by: mbalz | 2016/03/27

I also consume soil n i wish I can stop it now plz help

Reply to mbalz
Posted by: mbalz | 2016/03/27

Reply to mbalz
Posted by: mbalz | 2016/03/27

Reply to mbalz
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/08

Eating soil it normally happens to pregnant woman.....is not a disease just when ur preg u crave many things and soil and ice is one of them....when eating soil drink a lot of water...it happens that u don't have iron.I started eating soil when I'm 4 months pregnant to avoid eating ice but even thou I still eat soil I'm still crave for ice....nothing will happen to ur baby by eating ice he/she will just have too much colour we're u will have to stay @ hospital for weeks after birth

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/29

I ALSO USED TO EAT SOIL SO MUCH DAT SOMETIMES I WOULD NOT EAT FOOD I'D EAT SOIL INSTEAD BUT I LEARNT TO CONTROL THE CRVINGS AS I STARTED EATING CHOCOLATE INSTEAD ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH NUTS AND THAT HELPED ME TO STOP/CONTROL THE HABIT!!!

Posted by: Vuyo | 2016/01/24

I'm 35 yrs old i've bn eating clay for 18 yrs i really wanna stop bcz ma husband n i we've bn trying to conceive but nothing is happening,pls help,

Reply to Vuyo
Posted by: Lebo | 2016/01/20

I eat lot of soil recently found dat i hv a breech baby how dangrs dis is 2 me nd my baby

Reply to Lebo
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/05

hi im anonymous i have this problem of eating soil (matlapa) I can sleep not eaten i think its been 10 years nd I'm strangling to go to the loo i really need to stop please help

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/02

Please help me i am addicted to soil nd the problem is i dont get pregnant me and my partener we need a baby, i dnt knw what wrong i want a babu

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/21

dats a big problem of mine pls help couse i try so many times bt i strngly crave for it after dat

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/30

Hi, I'm also addicted to sand I'm 36 w pregnant and I've been eating sand for 2 months now n am also on suppliments bt they not helping with the craving, will this affect my unborn child..plz help!!

Posted by: lucy | 2015/09/30

hi, im also addicted to eating soil it started 10 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter until now I cant go day without eating soil.i eat about 3 pieces a day . I really need to stop pls help

Reply to lucy
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/26

Hi,im 34 weeks im so addicted 2 soil i cnt jst sit down for 5minutes without eating de soil,the prblm is this soil will harm my unborn baby?when im hungry i prefer to eat the soil then i'l eat the food... Precious M

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/14

M nw 8months preg nd dis is my 1st pregnancy,m realy under pressure of craving soil bt i ddnt eat de soil yet coz m realy affraid dat it might harm me nd my bby bt i use 2 eat de wood ashes 2 avoid dat bt dat 1 is 4 my culture's reason evn thore i dnt hav 2 eat dat ashes evrydy bt bcs of dis craving soil evrytym it cause me 2 feel eating dat ashes evrytym i crave soil nd i end up stopd 2 eat dat ashes bcs i wnt 2 eat it evrydy nd is nt gd in dat wy bt de craving of de soil is ovr me,Pls hlp me coz dis is nt gd 4me nd de bby @ol

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/08

Hey I've been eating soil for 3 years and my stomach makes funny noises can you help me to stop eating soil ,if I cleanse my stomach can all the soil go away

Posted by: lebo | 2015/05/01

I need some advice, what can i do to stop eating soil?

Reply to lebo
Posted by: Pearl M | 2014/11/29

Hi,im also addctd to dirt i rly nd help coz im wrrd that its going to affct my baby as I'm pregnant.

Reply to Pearl M
Posted by: NOLUTHANDO | 2014/09/23

YOU ALL NEED DELIVERENCE IT IS AN EVIL SPIRIT WANTING TO DESTROY YOUR HEALTH NEVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING THAT EATING SOIL IS NORMAL IT IS NOT!!!!!! NO OFENCE TO ANYONE,HOPE YOU TAKE WHAT I HAVE SAID INTO CONSIDERATION

Reply to NOLUTHANDO
Posted by: ntiyiso | 2014/08/04

Hi I am about 37 weeks pregnte now and I eat soil evryday icant go a day without it n dis is my first baby would ma baby have any problm bcoz of da soil dat I eat pls help

Reply to ntiyiso | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Sibongile | 2015/02/24

You will have a serious low blood problem, my advise is stop the soil eating, rather have Beetroot, spinach and liver. That's what you need.

Posted by: Sibongile | 2015/02/24

Posted by: Fezeka | 2014/05/08

Hy am 20yrs and i started eating soil when i was 10 or 11yrs its getting worse if i din not eat it am going crazy and i even found my self biting my cheel if i dont get soil, pls help

Reply to Fezeka
Posted by: Kay~more | 2013/12/31

Im 5weeks pregnant and i cnt stp eatn soil pls hlp

Reply to Kay~more
Posted by: Lizzy | 2013/12/24

I have a problem of eating soil, i just can`t stop. I started about 3 months back. when I don`t eat it I become crazy, I want to stop. how can I stop this bad habit

Reply to Lizzy
Posted by: Niita | 2013/03/15

Hi. I am also addicted to eating sand. I am 5 months pregnant and i just cant stop eating sand. I ate it in my 1st pregnancy that was 5 years ago, I have a health and lovely son. so I dont think its a problem at all because the food or staff we eat does not go straight to the baby. all i can advise is that you should not eat a cup full of sand at a time. take a table spoon twice or thrice a week. take care and all the best mothers to be.

Reply to Niita
Posted by: sand eater | 2009/11/22

Well you make me feel tons better as I am35w and I' m eating sand. The gynae said is vitamin deficiency and i' m drinking preggie vite and an iron tablets. But with all due respect to the vitamins I still crave to have sand and find myself eating it. I' ve ate sand for the whole 40wks of my prevouis pergnancy and only started eating sand at 30wks with this one. Is is psycological?

Reply to sand eater
Posted by: sithe | 2009/11/19

hi,i also had the same problem when i was pregnant ,the smell of soil especially if it was wet drove me crazy .i would eat it then drink lots of water in the effort of flushing it out of my system ,but later lent from the nurse that i spoke to that its actually ur body telling u that u have an iron deficiency ,so i was put on vitamin b suppliments and increase my intake of ox liver and beans ,it makes the soil cravings more manageable.

hope this info helps .

Reply to sithe

Dear Prudence
Take care