Question
Posted by: Loves my cat | 2010/09/01

Soft food vs knibbles

Hi, Doc

My nearly 3 month old cat likes his knibbles pellets with a little bit of water added to soften it. He prefer this more than the hard knibbles without the water added.

I don't know if it feels& tastes like the meat from the kitten sachet foods?
Are there any bad consequences if he doesn't start to eat more hard knibbles than soft food soon? Will he have less stronger teeth or struggle with digestion of hard pellets?

Hi Loves my cat

At present I am locuming in G.B. and we have a dental expert at the practice and he informed me that feeding dry knibbles makes very little difference to dental hygiene. What he did say was that if you suspect that dental tarter is arising then one should probably feed a prescription diet such as Hill's t/d as it helps debride the teeth.
Dry

I have seen cats that are 12-14 years old that have fantastic digestion and great teeth, so no I do not think it is a problem.

It is however important that you keep a close eye on dentition as problems may arise in the future. What about finger brushing his teeth?

Another important factor is to give your cat something to chew on as the extra saliva production helps to maintain dental hygiene.

2
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/09/01

Get kitty used to hard foods. My buddy had a cat that REFUSED to eat hard food (she wouldn''t eat for days if she didn''t have her sachet food). Not only was it VERY expensive, but because her cat wasn''t eating the hard food, there was no hard stuff to get the plaque and stuff off. Her teeth started rotting and when my friend took her to the vet to have the teeth removed, kitty died two days later (the bacteria and stuff obviously got to her).

Reply to Mandy
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/01

Hi Loves my cat

Dry

Reply to CyberVet