Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/05/24

soft bipolar

Hi Doc. I was reading about ''soft bipolar'' and wonder if this relates to me. I was diagnosed as having GAD/social phobia 5 years ago and have been on Venlor since + CBT which has helped a lot. For the past 2 weeks, I seem to be going through a ''hypomania'' stage.... need little sleep, spending spree''s, happy all the time. However I like this feeling as I always seemed to have been depressed and it feels good to actually be happy again. I am scared that I am going to hit the downer soon though. Should I go back for a reassessment with my pyschiatrist? Thanks in advance.

Ideas such as "soft bipolar" are fads or at best theories, and it has not yet found proper scientific support nor wide professional / expert acceptance. I would expect CBT to help with GAD / social phobia, and a range of ADs, including Venlor ( though that would be very far from my first choice ) can also be really helpful.
Your description of your present situation does sound rather like a manic episode, and they can indeed be very enjoyable - until they soar too far, when they can be really unpleasant and even dangerous. DO see your psychiatrist again for a re-assessment and a discussion of whether there may be a Bipolar element in your condition

1