My son has just been diagnosed as having an allergy to sodium benzoate. His body is afflicted with eczema. Now that we know what the allergy is to, where can a find a list of yes and no foods in south africa. If he is allergic to sodium benzoate, does this include sulphur dioxide? He is 16 years old, does not eat fancy foods and can' t stand vegetables. How do I find a recommended diet? Thank you.

Dear Reader
I do not have an actual list of foods available for you that pinpoints which SA foods contain sodium benzoate, but if you read the labels on foods and beverages they do list "sodium benzoate", so you will be able to avoid these products. If your son was tested for food/preservative allergies and he did not test positive to sulphur dioxide then he should not react to this preservative. If you visit the Website of the Allergy Association at: you will be able to find lists of foods/drinks that your son needs to avoid. If you find that you are struggling to devise menus for him, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through the initial phases of adjusting to a sodium benzoate-free diet.