Question
Posted by: Ang | 2009-05-15

Sodium Benzoate Allergy

My son, 2.5 years old, was diagnosed with an allergy to sodium benzoate in February via blood tests. I’ ve just read that sodium benzoate is found naturally in cranberries, prunes, plums, cinnamon, ripe cloves and apples . . . should I avoid these foods as well ?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Ang

Usually substances that occur 'natually' in food are far more easily tolerated that the synthetic chemical. However, in highly sensitive individuals, once they have developed the antibodies to the synthetic substance (as your son has done) they become hypersensitive and can react to even the natural substances.

In order to determin this, keep him off everything that you know of that contains the sodium ben. for a period of 6 weeks and then introduce one of the foods containing the natural sodium ben. Stick to only one, starting with once a day and slowly increasing the amount and look for any reaction.

You can do this with each different food and monitor his reaction.

Very often the reaction is dependant on quantitiy and frequency of ingestion so be careful with giving too much.

As his immune system 'mature' his tolerance may well increase.

Kevin