Question
Posted by: A | 2010/07/01

SODIUM BENZOATE

I have a very active 5 year old girl. I have noticed in the past couple of years that whe changes behaviour when taking in Sodium Benzoate. She has been labled as a strong willed, hyperactive child. At times when she has suger (i.e. morning cerial) the same thing happens. Can suger have the same effect on her? Without Sodium Benzoate she is such a pleasent little girl. I there any advise on this, maybe a natural diet I can follow with her. I''ve noticed very, very little medicine, foods and drinks in SA excludes this preservative, and this makes it quite difficult.

Dear A
Research conducted in the UK has shown that preservatives and colourants can trigger hyperactivity in susceptible children and even stimulate children who do not suffer from ADHD. Sugar on the other hand has been tested and not found to cause this reaction, so I would suspect that your lassie is reacting to another ingredient in the morning cereal. The ideal situation for a child with ADHD is to use only nonprocessed foods that contain no preservatives, colourants or flavourants, which is indeed difficult in the modern world. If you find yourself struggling to select a diet that is free of additives, but still promotes healthy growth, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with a specific diet prescription for your little girl.

1

Dear A