Posted by: Me | 2012-12-03

I''ve gained so much weight and it seems to have packed on over night!
I’ m really perplexed by how big my tummy has gotten.
I have been overweight before but my tummy has never ever looked like this!
I’ m horrified and have started exercising and cutting down abit.
My question basically is, could it be carbonated drinks that has done this?

I was never a lover of them but for the past 2-3 months I’ ve been drinking lots of coke and other carbonated drinks. I even find myself craving them which is weird because I never really like them but since my bf always drinks them I had started too.

It could only be this as it has been my only change that I can think of since all this weigh gain and big tummy. Is there anything I could take to assist my weight loss and getting my tummy back besides what I am doing right now.

I''m not pregnant.

Dear Me
It is very possible that drinking large quantities of sweetened cold drinks has triggered this weight gain esp in the abdominal area. Liquid sugar has been identified as being more obesogenic than solid sugar (e.g. table sugar which is used as a sweetening agent on porridge, etc). This finding together with the relatively large quantities of cold drinks that one can easily consume in a day, will boost your energy intake and your consumption of liquid sugar. So as a start, please stop drinking cold drinks that are sweetened with sugar and switch over to drinking water and soda water instead (zero kJ!). Fruit juice is also a liquid that is high in dissolved sugars - so don't substitute fruit juice for the sweetened cold drinks, unless you use freshly squeezed fruit juice and consume moderate quantities (e.g. 1/2 to 1 glass a day). You can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life)for at least 30 min a day. Also do some exercises that target the tummy such as sit-ups.