Posted by: smenaiza | 2008-10-29

I have a social phobia problem, always running away from situations if feel anxious in, cant present in front of my class mates, cant answear questions in class, feel unconfortable around crowds, cant expess my feelings and thoughts, cant eat in public,..................Its realy putting me down, i miss good opportunities because of this!!!!!!!!!! How do i get help.............HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See a shrink for assessment and confirmation of the diagnosis, and discuss treament options. Social Phobia responds well to treatment, both by meds otherwise also used to treat Depression, and by Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT. It needn't take long before you could be enjoying making presentations and being in crowds.

Posted by: Vegan | 2008-10-29

I sympathise, Smenaiza. I have the same problem, and I feel like such a freak sometimes.

CBT has really helped me with presentations. I hope to join Toastmasters one day and start getting comfortable talking to larger crowds. I' m the same in class though - I get so uncomfortable that I can' t even form my own opinions about the topic we' re discussing, nevermind speaking up/giving input. It' s a constant fight for me, but when I look back on how bad it was to begin with...therapy is so worth it.

Reply to Vegan