Posted by: Anon0007 | 2008-11-26

Socializing with other parents

Need some advice please:
I find it really hard to socialise with other mums from my kids playgroup or even hold a conversation with them. It seems everyone is in such a rush and always talks about themselves. One of the main issues I find - I grew up in an " Indian area"  and moved out years ago when I got married - I just find it so hard to communicate with people of different races lately particularly white I feel my confidence just crumble for some reason which was never an issue. I dread having to have a conversation with anyone these days. Race has never been issue but lately I when I found out I was excluded from a list of parents for a school outing and then later not informed about an official meeting at school (a school I pay R50 000 a year for!) - I find myself questioning things. THeir explanation was simply an apology! Also had an issue with a white doctor who just seemed to want to drill home the point that I wasn' t from here.Am I just paranoid? what can I do with my sudden lack of confidence? I just cannot bear this feeling.
Please - not racial arguments here - I' m far from that.

What very boring people they must be ! However in some ways they\d be easier to socialize with --- they won't be interested in you ( or anyone else ) and will be keen to talk about themselves --- so if you listen, smile, and do some oohs and aahs, they'll enjoy the contact. You p[robably wont, but in that sort of company, nobody would, anyway. As for being excluded from specific parent events and meetings, complain calmly to the headmaster, who surely will not want the bad publicity this could create. They're all showing bad breeding and bad manners for making you feel uncomfortable at all.