Question
Posted by: Kay | 2012/02/06

Socializing a stray dog and cat

Hi there,

I really need some help. We are South Africans currently living in a country where there are NO animal rescue services. About 2 months ago we took in a kitten from the streets. He was very sick but we nursed him back to health and he has grown into a very loving cat, who has all his vaccinations etc up to date. About 2 weeks ago we found a stray puppy (border collie cross) in our garden and also took him in as it was snowing and the little creature was starving. After getting him the medical attention he required we introduced him and the cat yesterday. They do get along and also chased each other around the room while playing, but the cat has now started urinating everywhere the dog does. We do take him outside for walks but he prefers to do his business indoors! We would like to keep both of them but would prefer not to live in a stinking house! I realise that the cat is probaply stresses out about this and needs some time to adjust. When we first got the puppy he was so scared of people he would urinate whenver me or my husband approached him, he improved a lot but I honestly can''t deal with the dog and cat wee all over the house. Any advise will be appreciated!

Hi Kay

You need to start training your puppy to defecate and urinate outside. Please purchase a dog-training manual or check the Internet for information on training techniques to help you resolve this matter. In addition you need to provide a quiet sanctuary (with a litter tray) for your cat so that he/she can escape from the puppy and this will hopefully reduce the stress of the situation. Please ensure that the cat is spayed/neutered.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/02/14

Hi Kay

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet