Posted by: Quizzie | 2009-03-19

I find socializing the opposite of fun. People enjoy going out for a drink fun, but to me it' s a stressfull situation I try to avoid. All the smalltalk and fake smiles and interested expressions I have to put on. Peope always talk about themselves and things that just dont matter and I never have anything to say and then I feel like a bore. I guess my question is, is this this a common fear for some people?

Now, tastes differ --- I also don't enjoy the company of drunk people, and some of enjoy social events, and others don't. BUT, if you find it stressful rather than just unenjoyable, and fearful rather than boring, this could be a form of social anxiety disorder, which can respond to treatment by CBT and perhaps medication, and would enable you to enjoy whatever there might be to enjoy in social situations

Posted by: Go it alone | 2009-03-19

Hey, you are your best company. Clever, witty and great fun to be with. You understand yourself better than anyone else and have a great sense of humour. You know 1000 jokes, you know what you like to eat and no one prepares it better than you. Enjoy your own company !!

Reply to Go it alone