Question
Posted by: LoCaLNuTTa | 2008/07/03

Social Phobia or Anxiety

Hi Doctor,

A few years ago I started seeing a psychologist who told me I had this disorder and prescribed Cilift. I used this for about a month and didn't notice any change in my condition. Was this period of use to short to notice any change. I stopped using this and thought I could deal with the issue on my own seeing as it is all in my head. I've come to a point now where I know that this is not possible. Do I have to see another psychologist or can I just start using Cilift again without the help of a psychologist if it wasn't used correctly the first time. Would the pharmacist be able to help me with a safe dosage?

OK, if he prescribed anything, he would have been a psychiatrist ( thus medially qualified ). Cilift can help SAD, but needs to be taken for longer. YOu can only get a prescription for CIlift or any other significant drug, from a doctor like a GP or Psychiatrist.
But check with the Anxiety/Depression Support Group ( number on this page ) as they could help you to find a psychologist who can provide Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) which is a very effective talking therapy for social anxiety and other anxiety disorders