Question
Posted by: des | 2011-05-30

social phobia - eating in front of people

Need help! Living with this for 15 years. Turn down all invites and now even so bad that I cannot eat with my own family. So scared to make a fool of myself by choking. Have used anti depressants for years and anxiety became even worse.

This is not related to depression at all, though it can indeed sometimes improve when one takes some antidepressants. But the good news is that it should clear up very well to treatment. One should see a psychologist who provides CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can help you to unlearn this unpleasant fear / anxiety and bad habit. You could, before long, be not merely no longer avoiding public meals, but enjoying them.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011-05-30

Have you tried CBT(Cognitive Behavior Therapy)? Perhaps call one of the numbers at the top of the page to find a psychologist offering CBT.

Just remember - CBT is not a quick fix. It takes LOTS of practice and effort. At first you won''t see much benefit, but the benefits do snowball and eventually the techniques almost become effortless.

I don''t even use tranquillizers anymore - in stark contrast with 6 years ago when I was using massive amounts of tranquillizers just to get through an average day!

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza