Posted by: Zeus | 2009-03-12

Social phobia and the workplace

I' ve struggled with social phobia for most of my life and later developed depression because of it. I received help but only after my second visit to a psychiatric hospital, and quite a few psychologist visits can I truly say I' ve beaten my phobia.

The problem is that I now want to find work. Although I completed a few academic courses I wasn' t able to work and gain experience/references. What should my answer be if a potential employer asks me what I' ve been doing in between my academics?

MY first thought is, that though I'm pleased to hear you're feeling so much better from the point of view of social phobia, carry on with and complete a full course of treatment, so that it doesn't return.
As for work-seeking, it's hard for even the most healthy and brilliant of us, these days. Some will advise you to lie ( though I'm not sure what lie would work, and not be discovered, with unfortunate consequences ). Some will advise you to tell the truth, and I'd say ask your therapist about this. Personally, I'd rather employ someone who has had a recognized disorder successfully treated, rather than someone who was simply bumming around for some time

Posted by: Bee | 2009-03-13

Gosh, what a tough one! Personally, I would never mention being in a psychiatric hopsital, its just that its such a personal thing and why should everyone know about it, especially if they will judge you and not understand.

Its not something to be ashamed of at all, and there are so many people walking around with undiagnosed " conditions" .

I am not suggesting you to lie, just talk aorund it, say you haven' t found the right opportunity, that you needed time to establish exactly what you want to do, before you persue something which will not stimulate you professionaly.

Good luck x

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Thor | 2009-03-13

Morally its totally wrong to even suggest it, but its an unfortunite aspect of life - the best thing you can do is lie, otherwise if you disclose you will only bring addtional trouble on yourself. lie lie lie and then lie some more :-)

Reply to Thor
Posted by: Employers. | 2009-03-13

A lot of work seekers who have spent time in Chookie use the same excuse for periods of absence. They will be suspicious if you are not a youngster recently out of school, Tech, University etc. Its also a problem to produce a letter from the hospital as that will also tend to put them off. Nowadays, the way it is, is that there are queues looking for work, some highly qualified and experienced (all those who have been rejected by the Govt and Municipalities, because " you know why" ) and employers are able to pick and choose and on top of that are able to screw these poor people out of a work related salary because guys are desperate for work. So unfortunately its going to be a bit of an uphill battle. Wish I could be a bit more helpful.

Reply to Employers.