Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/03/09

social phobia ?

Hi everyone. I think I am schizo.... At work (where I have been for almost 6 years) I am very quiet, reserved and suffer from social phobia. Since I have been working here, I have been on anti-depressants and have had CBT. The funny thing is that as soon as I am with people who I dont know, I am chatty, energetic and happy (even with people from work but not in my department). It is like I lead 2 lives. Do I suffer from social anxiety or not? And why does this happen? Is this place where I work keeping me stuck in my past behaviour? thanks.

I don't hear anything schizo in what you describe. Apparently your social anxiety centres around worrying excessively about what people who you know, think of you, and you feel more relaxed among strangers because you don't care what they think. These are issues which a comp[etent CBT therapist would want to know about and work on. That you are socially capable in some settings proves beyond doubt that you are capable of this. Just need to learn to work in the same way in all settings.

1