Question
Posted by: Brian559 | 2012/06/24

Social Anxiety Disorder

Hello,

I am in my mid 20s and feel i have been living with some form of social anxiety disorder for most of my life. How do I go about seeking the right psychologist or psychiatrist.

Thank You

Some of us have Social Anxiety Disorder, and some of us as just shy ( the exact borderlines have not been made clear ! ); but it does generally respond well to treatment. There are two main approaches used, and I prefer to see them combined. Pstchiatrists tend to use medications also used to treat Depression, and this has good results. Psychologists tend to use talking therapies / psychoatherapy, and the most effective currently would be Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy / CBT, which is definitely effective, and teaches a method that can often be self-applied to other related problems.
So the right shrink to help would be someone who can offer either or best both of these treatments. Unfortunately the only way to check would be to call and ask their receptionist. Almost all psychiatrists can provide the right meds ( one should avoid those who prefer sedatives of the Valium family, which can produce dependency anf other problems ) ; many but not all psychologists should be able to provide CBT - avoid those using the unproven and out-dated Analytic methods, which last too long and work too little.

1