Question
Posted by: Giri | 2008/07/01

Social Anxiety Disorder

Hi doctor
I have been diagnosed with severe depression last year and Social Anxiety Disorder - and after trying a few meds which did not work, my psychiatrist prescribed Wellbutrin and Topamax which works well for the depression. But it does not do anything for the SAD - I have been on Cilift, Cymbalta (had to stop these because of terrible side effects) and is currently on 50 mg Zoloft. The Zoloft side effects are very mild - mainly stomach related + headaches, but it doesn't do anything for my constant anxiety, and I've been using it for four weeks. Is it too early to tell whether it's going to work or not? What is the best medication for social anxiety disorder?

I should mention that I am also seeing a psychologist regularly.

The bewst treatment for SAD is CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder, and anything other than this or another variation of behaviour therapy is an idle waste of time. There's no "best" medicine for SAD, and most of the SSRI family ( including Cilift and Zoloft ) seem to help many people. Maybe adding CBT to the medication would make a difference