Posted by: dw | 2013-02-01

social anxiety and my first meeting...

I need help asap. I have suffered from social anxiety all my life and have stuck in a job that I hate because I dont like the focus on me and get all tongue tied when I have to talk. I have now been promoted and have accepted because I realise I need to better myself and face this fear of mine. I have my first meeting today which I am hosting...Im petrified!! All the focus is on me to get the meeting going and its freaking me out. Any suggestions.

Congratulations on the promotion - the extra good news is that social anxiety disorder responds really well to prop[er treatment which should include Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) a specific form of psychological counselling, and sometimes also the use of some meds, including some also used to treat depression. Arrange through your medical aid to see a psyciatrist or psychologist ( maybe this one first ) as soon as posible for assessment and to start therapy.
You've left it a little bit late to get treatment benefits in time for today's meeting. However, don't get too exaggeratedly alarmed. Stick to the agenda, and let other people do almost all the talking. Ask relevant questions, and frankly tell them you fel nervous at facing them all min this new role, and hope they will be supportive and kind to you as you come up to speed. I'm sure they should be understanding.
As Maria says, nobody wants the chairman to speak too much in a meeting, anyway. Take notes of anything important which you need to say.

Posted by: thrax | 2013-02-03

Hi there I also suffer from social anxiety please could you contact me Im looking for someone to talk to about this problem and share ideas on how to improve and work together to get better. My email is blackice1983 at yahoo dot com

Reply to thrax
Posted by: Kelly | 2013-02-01

OMG! Good luck! Just be yourself I guess, breath deeply and pretend they all your close friends...
Pretend they all sitting their in the nude... do not know why anyone would give that advise because it actually only makes things worse lol

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Maria | 2013-02-01

Congratulations on your promotion.

Plan what you want to say. Write it down and take the notes with you. Keep it short, that''s what people want in meetings anyway!

Have you ever had therapy to help you deal with the social anxiety?

Reply to Maria