Question
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2011/07/27

Social Anxiety

Morning CS

You will recall my posts in connnection with my daughter who had two episondes of severe post natal pshycosis. As I said, she is as well as can be expected, although struggling with the side effects of the medication.

One thing I ommitted to tell you (maybe because I was afraid to admit I am after all human) was that through all the stress, I myself suffered a breakdown and was off work for almost 2 months - unable to function. I did not know it was possible for any human being to cry so much, to simply stop functioning, and feel so desperate and lost. However, with the help of my pshyciatrist, I am now relatively well again. Two things that do bother me though is that every morning, I wake up with anxiety, which wears off as the day progresses. The other is that that one area of my life that I''ve not been able to get back is my social side. I am (was) a very social person, and was very active on committees and clubs where I had an interest. I am just not able to face these people again in such large groups. Every time there is a meeting/gathering, I have all good intentions of attending, but the anxiety overwhelms me and I end up not going. I have not dicussed this with my pshyciatrist. Will this come right, as it bothers me that I seldom leave the house, except to go to work. My husband suffers from social anxiety and I really don''t want to be like that, and the thought of is positively terrifies me.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Gosh, so you are actually human ? That shatters my illusions ! So unlike so many of our readers ,,,, Seriously, you were so conscientious and so wrapped into your daughter's problems that I suspected you might be neglecting your own needs. Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasanty episode, but I'm pleased to hear you've been making a good recovery.
You seem to be describing a degree of anxiety and indeed social anxiety as a remaining problem area, and of course you need to discuss this with your psychiatrist. Maybe a change in your medication could help ( some effective antidepressants, for instance, tend to add a bit to anxiety in some people ) ; and adding counselling of the CBT sort could help you to gain more control over the anxiety when it arises. There is no need to become disabled by social anxiety - and maybe you can pass on some of the CBT methods you would learn, to your husband ?

1