Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2011/06/27

Soak your Oats

I found a number of articles regarding oats - one of them at highonhealth named why-its-very-important-to-soak-oats-before-you-eat-them. After reading your article " Oats: the ultimate health food - Last updated: Tuesday, March 22, 2011"  I was wondering whether you are aware of this " Soak your Oats theory" ?

Dear Wayne
Dear Wayne
Thank you for this input. I must point out that I did not write the article on "Oats: the ultimate health food" which is a Magna Carta press release, placed by other staff at Health24. I shall bring the issue of soaking oats prior to cooking to their attention. I also checked out the article on the High-on-Health Website and although I agree that soaking oats which are to be cooked as a porridge (not the instant varieties that are popular nowadays), is a good practice, I must point out that the High-on-Health article contains rather startling discrepancies. In the introduction the author states that a friend had a blood test for mineral deficiency and was found to suffer from a vitamin B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12 is a vitamin and not a mineral. Vit B12 is found in meat, fish, eggs and dairy products, not oats or grains. I doubt that the phytic acid content of oats would interfere with the uptake of vit B12 from rich sources such as meat and fish. I agree that most unsifted grains contain phytic acid which can chelate minerals and interfere with their uptake (for example, most of the high iron content of spinach is unavailable to the human body because it is bound by phytates). However, it is the phytic acid is a variety of foods such as whole grains and red wine which act as antioxidants and provide protection against heart disease. So although I agree that it is a good idea to soak unprocessed, unsifted or wholegrains, including raw oats, in warm water overnight before cooking, I think that the author of this article is not writing logically and may not be trained in nutrition if he/she mixes up vitamins and minerals.
I shall pass on your comments to the Health24 staff.

1

Dear Wayne
Dear Wayne