Posted by: Essie | 2011-11-24

Please can you give me some guidance.

I have an office job in a plant that makes chemicals. The process produces SO2 (Sulper Dioxide).
The plant does its best to keep these emissions under control and are also always telling employees that it is not a hazard to our health etc etc. In fact they " agresively"  deny that SO2 has any adverse effects on your health...
I have been working for this company for 12 years and have been developing Chronic Brochitus the past 3 years. I have been hospitalised 5 times and recently my Dr also diagnosed me with Astma.
When I see the factory Dr he basically just checks my BP and steers away from anything related to the Bronchitus and Astma.
People have told me that the company will never admit to the dangers of SO2 and employees that suffered as a result of this gas get nowhere and ends up resigning.
I am not at an age where I will find another job easilly and as I am getting sicker by the year, I want to address this matter in a proper and profesional manner but have no idea where to start.
Have you any advice for me please?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Sound like an employer again not fulfilling their legal obligations - perform a Health Risk Assessment, measure exposure levels,protect employee from risk, especially inhalation - your illness can certaintly be related to your exposure. Contact the department of labour immediately for urgent assessment.

Posted by: Diandra | 2011-12-03

I''m quite peslead with the information in this one. TY!

Reply to Diandra