Posted by: another1bitesTheDust | 2009-07-08

Hi there I have suffered from bulimia/anorexia for 7 years and have made about 2 short recoveries in that time.Im on a heck of a lot of potassium and iron yet lately I have been getting so weak I can barely make it up the stairs, battling to get my breath, panic attacks and serious slumps, I also have impaired vision everytime I purge.
Is this something to worry abou, is it maybe something lacking in my, cant say diet but maybe pill box?
My bmi is a little below 16.I am getting help. Please give me som e pointers if you can I am just so tired.

Dear So Weak
If you are not getting help from a whole team of experts which should include a clinical psychologist, a dietitian and a physician, then you need to call in their assistance ASAP. Who ever is helping you, must address all your problems and do a proper biochemical check to see what else you are deficient in. Just taking potassium and iron pills is not going to solve the problem. You need to a) change your mindset and stop purging, b) start eating a balanced diet 3) get expert advice on which nutrients need to be supplemented - for example if you just take potassium and iron and your other electrolytes, minerals and vitamins are also depleted then you will collapse. Start off you contacting a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) and ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist and a physician.
Don't spoil your whole life with this dreaded habit of purging.
Holding thumbs for you

Posted by: Sal | 2009-07-15

How old are you. Cos if you are young, then dont you think it is a bit sad that you cant get up the stairs? I was anorexic for 7 years and looking back now l realise how pathetic l was. Of course you are going to have impaired vision, its not normal to be throwing up your food.
Go and get yourself admitted to Kenilworth Clinic, if you can afford it, they helped me enormously and l think you need someone to take control of you cos its much easier when the option to cheat is taken away. Its scary but if you want to get better, you' ll find it immensely relieving.
Good Luck- please do something- you dont know how good life can be when you are normal.

Reply to Sal