Question
Posted by: Molly | 2010/05/24

So unhappy with my job but don''t know if I should leave

Hi Doc,

I think I''m having a job crisis. I''m 23 years old, have been working at the company I am currently working for since I was 19 years old (started working part time then in 2008 started working full time). I have been doing the same thing for 3 years (progressing at a VERY VERY slow rate). I work in an open plan office smaller than my flat with 5 people. My boss has a lot of plans for the company but he is so busy he never gets around to the things he wants to. He wants to start building an office block (which hopefully means I will one day get my own office) and he is very busy getting in new business all the time that I am not traingin for new things or anything. I am very busy but my job is boring- I have a creative brain and really working with numbers just doesn''t do it for me. I don''t get to interact with people the way I''d want to because the people I speak to just always have queries and complaint. The people I work with are irritating- they are always asking me questions about THEIR job, asking me to help them with this and with that and the accountant gets VERY angry with me when I don''t drop what I am doing to help her/ do her work. My bosses wife comes and goes as she pleases, gets uptight easily, is rude about people when my boss is on the phone (for example she will think she knows what my boss and whoever is on the other side of the phone is talking about and she''ll make remarks like, " tell that currymuncher I''m going to get his electricity disconnected if he doesn''t pay his rent" ). She talks badly to the domestic worker sometimes (she''ll make remarks to her and then when she comes into the office she''ll go off about what an idiot the domestic is, etc). She thinks she''s a know it all and is always talking about herself (her cough, her throat, how cold she is, bla bla bla). I know for a fact that I get paid the least out of everyone (except for the domestic) and they really don''t trust me (considering I''ve been working at the company for the longest). I get paid ok, at least I have a stable job and my boss is very kind to me but I''m just so unhappy. I dread going to work, I feel like crying when I know it''s time for work, I don''t talk to anyone at the office and I just sit there quietly waiting for the weekend. I want to leave but I am the only one who can do my job and it is a growing company. I''d feel guilty about leaving considering my boss has been good to me. I don''t know what to do....!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, I'm surprised he thinks he could afford to bild an office block, when that is so expensive and there are so many office blocks standing around empty.
Sounds like the others in the office aren't sufficiently experienced ot trained for their own jobs, and expecting too much help. But you say you want to work with people, then complain that people call you with complaints and problemsd - but that's what working with people MEANS !
No competent boss allows his wife ( or husband ) to interfere with the business and wander in and out of it. I hope this guy is as competent at running a business as everyone assumes.
No point in giving up even a pretty miserable job until you have found a better one - but start looking !

2
Posted by: Col | 2010/05/25

I agree - look for another job and only leave the one you''re in once you have another one. With about 38 years work experience and the past 12 being self-employed my advice re feeling guilty about leaving because your boss has been good to you is: Always be loyal to yourself first and not your boss / job because if he needed to retrench you, he would do it in an instant. It is so much better to be self-employed, be your own boss and put the money you are making into your own pocket - aim for that and remember, it is better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all. Good Luck and hope it doesn''t take you as long as it took me!

Reply to Col