Question
Posted by: Red | 2009/11/04

So unfriendly

Hi CS

Hope you' re well

Why are people so unfriendly over the phone and in person when it comes to services. People are so impatient and have no time. Makes me angry and sad at the same time. I hate being cut off the phone just because I needed to find out something. Aaaaaaaah man!!!

"As well as can be expected" as the nurses always used to say when people phoned for information. THough I'm not sure how well I should expect to be.
I think in many cases "services" is the wrong word. People used to be proud to work in publicservice, or the service department of an admin, shop, company, whatever. And they really shouldn't be unpleasant or irritable - they are at least being paid to answer you pleasantly. You, who may indirectly pay their wages, are not being paid to call them.
Our local City Council specializes in not answering the phone at all, or, after you've been on hold for an expensive 40 minutes, just lifting and replacing the receiver, to cut you off.
But worse, in many ways. are those dreadful automated "customer service" systems which fore you to spend ages on a call, running through dozens of options on a complex menu, and then often give you nobody at the end of it. Better that they have separate numbers for each major function, and a properly trained human at the end of each of them
But

1

But