Posted by: Lily | 2009-02-18

So terrified of wrinkles

I' m 30 black skin female.I' ve got good skin, dont smoke, drink ocassionally. I dont have wrinkles, age spots or any of those aging signs. My question is, when do i start using anti-aging creams? i really, really dont want to have wrinkles.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lily, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer but I was in Johannesburg training doctors and only arrived in Cape Town last night.

Generally speaking the darker the skin type the better the skin’s natural protective mechanisms are against sun damage and free radical damage. Furthermore one will find more collagen and elastin in the deep skin layer with darker skin types and this usually means a slower visible ‘ageing’ effect.

However, to delay or prevent the formation of wrinkles, one should arrange a consultation with an aesthetic medical practitioner or cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can examine your skin and decide on the best treatment options; as ultimately one may need Botox, chemical peels, and technology based treatments.

I would consider starting the use ‘anti-ageing’ creams such as NeoStrata, Environ, Nimue, etc.