Posted by: Lysanne Tony | 2009-03-30

so so tired

I have been suffering from depression and bulimia for 7 years now, I know the consequences and am getting professional help, I just feel I need to hear from others out there to see whats working for them.Im on seroquel and aropax, im virtualy not sleeping at all and am studying 2nd year psych.I am battling to get up in the mornings and finding myself opt out more and more.I just feel emotionally and physically exhausted but I cant get behind.Im obsessed with my lecturer so I dont want to give up college.Im passing out quite alot from my bulimia and just feel like I need to cry all the time. I am not feeling that a psichiatrist or meds can or will help me.I have so much to live for yet It just hurts so much to stay alive.I feel like I just cant emotionally carry on and I mentally dont understand why I have so many intrusive thoughts and negative thoughts that just make me want to die.Please someone help me.

I wonder why you're not sleeping properly --- have you discussed this with your shrink / prescrtibing doc ? It doesn't sound as though this combination suits you, either from the point of view of the eating disorder, or the depression. Properly chosen meds and the right psych could make a vast difference --- people rarely regain control of such disorders entiely on their own. With so much suicidal and other negative thinking around, this is urgent, and you really do need to see a good local psychiatrist, maybe through student health, as soon as possible --- this can come right, and you need to give it every chance to do so

Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-30

There is a difference between receiving ' professional'  help and receiving EFFECTIVE professional help. Your meds are obviously not working for you. It sounds like you' re going through a bad depressive episode. You don' t say how long you' ve been on the Seroquel and Aropax therapy. If its been less than 2-3 weeks, you might just have to bite the bullet and give the meds time to kick in. If you' ve been on your therapy for longer than a month, your meds will probably need to be changed (Either the dosages, or completely different medication).

And believe me - if you receive effective professional help, you won' t feel that meds and a psychiatrist will not help. Because it definitely will. Just don' t give up.

Some other ideas that could help your situation - exercise more. The endorphins released by exercise make you feel better, as well as tiring out your body so that you can sleep better at night. Do not sleep during the day - even if it feels like you can' t go on. Keep a time-keeping schedule of your day - i.e. make yourself get up at a certain time. Take your medication at the same times every day. Make yourself retire for the day at the same time every day. Take a relaxing shower or bath before getting into bed. Do not get into bed early just because you' re too tired. Starting off with a late bedtime and then gradually making your bedtime earlier until you get enough sleep a night can also help. Try and keep busy with e.g. cleaning. Cleaning can be a productive form of exercise if you do the physical stuff like washing floors. Cleaning can also be productive even if it isn' t exercise since it keeps you busy and keeps your mind off your troubles. Go out - even if its only window shopping and choosing what you would buy if you managed to win the Lotto.

Playing relaxing music while I try to fall asleep has helped me a lot. Reciting a mantra with your eyes closed and with the most relaxing horizontal position you can find. Sometimes I don' t recite a mantra, but sing a short verse in my head over and over again. This has helped me reduce the time it takes me to fall asleep from 2 hours + , down to about 20 minutes.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza