Question
Posted by: KIA | 2009-12-02

So overweight &  joining gym

I have about 40kg to lose and have decided to join the gym.I can' t afford a personal trainer. Please advise on the types of exercise to do to burn fat. I am in bad shape and will not be able to exercise for more than an hour at the beginning. Should I start with something like yoga or aerobics or pilates or just use the machines on the floor?

Guys, I am so scared to be seen in a gym. Please give me some encouragement. anyone here in my position and at the planet fitness bedfordview? Need a workout partner.

Dear Kia
I hope that one of the other Readers who attends the Planet Fitness gym in Bedfordview will contact you so that you can have some moral support. If you are very unfit and not used to exercising then Please don't start off with very strenuous workouts. Talk to the general gym instructor so that he/she gives you relatively gentle exercise routines to follow: walking (not jogging!!) on the treadmill, rowing, cycling or spinning- start for 10 min an exercise! As you lose weight and get fitter you can increase the speed and intensity of your exercise routines and workout for longer periods. Cardio or aerobic exercises like the ones listed help to burn energy and cause weightloss. Working with weights builds muscles and firms you up. So at this stage concentrate mainly on cardio exercises. Combine the exercise with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).
Good luck and keep it up

2
Posted by: Carri | 2009-12-02

good luck with your new lifestyle, I dont live near Bedforview unfortunately, but I would like to encourage you to do this not only to look good, but remember that it is for your HEALTH. take each day at a time and remember that preserverance is key!

Reply to Carri
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-02

Dear Kia
Good luck and keep it up