Posted by: Unique | 2009-05-28

I' m due to go on maternity leave in 2 weeks. I' m so sick and tired of this ACTING boss who want to impress at the expense of the team. He is soooooo desparate to get the position he wants us to walk the straight and narrow to make sure we don' t ruin his opportunities. We are supposed to not talk to practically anyone (he boss, his peer, our peer...) without his permission.If you bump into someone and happen to discuss work you must stick to some pre-defined stance/answers and feed back what you said. I didn' t sit at university for 4 years + 10 years of work to be treated like a child like this.

What really gets to me is that he keeps making subminal jokes about the possibility of me working during my maternity leave. It irritates me that he doesn' t come out right and ask me so I can him no, he keeps saying " you know you could finish this project in your four months at home" ...." what if you came back early to do blah blah blah" ....

I think there is something seriously wrong with this guy.....

Botttom line - I am very loyal to the company I just want leave this clown (his department). So I want to look for opportunities in other departments. His curfew on conversation makes this difficult. I want to talk to his boss (who is ultimately responsible for more departments) so he can notify me if there opportunities under his other direct reports. Is it advisable to talk now or should I leave it to just before the end of my leave. I have no idea how I' m going to survive the next 2 weeks with this guy.

So many people, when acting boss, emphasize the acting, rather than the boss part, don't they ? He sounds awfully insecure. Why does he feel there is so much that has to be hidden ?
I understand that he can try to discourage conversations, but can he forbid you, and stop you from talking to his boss, or HR, or whatever ? I can' adise on tactics, as so much depends on the office politics, personalities and relationships involved. How would his boss feel about you approaching him ?