Question
Posted by: Me | 2009-03-27

So frustrated

I am so close to what my weight should be, but am determined to tone up, lose some flab and look good, but I just can' t seem to get there. I am following a low kj, balanced during 5 days a week and relax on the weekend, but I still have some very bad food habits I think are letting me down. Even if I eat a good meal at night (veg, small protein, low fat etc.), by the time its bed time I feel like snacking and always always grab whatever is in the fridge (leftovers, yoghurt, the kids biscuits or some sweets). Its almost like a physical thing (its truly like the munchies). Even on the weekend if I have a little snooze in the afternoon I wake up almost like my blood sugar has dropped and I just crave sweets (I can eat an entire packet of sweet biscuits). This is driving me mad as I know its going to be very hard for me to lose as I dont have much to lose. What would the permanent solution be? I am so close yet so far and its starting to really get me down. Please assist me.

Dear Me
To tone up and lose flab you actually need to do physical exercise together with your diet, so ask Fitness Doc on this site for specific exercises. The fact that you are suffering from the munchies or cravings or low blood sugar, either indicates that you are hypoglycaemic or that your diet is too low in carbs and/or energy. It may be a good idea to ask your gp to send you for blood sugar and insulin tests to see if you suffer from low blood sugar or an insulin imbalance. If this should be the case, you would then need to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your hypoglycaemia and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
But also start doing daily exercises.