Question
Posted by: BIki | 2011-03-11

So confussed - progesterone level

Hi doc,
I have been trying to concieve for almost a year. Two months ago I went for Progesterone tests and it was confirmed that I was not ovulating. My gynae prescirbed Clomid 50mg. I took it last month without success. this month I went for a progestrone test and she said my results were 19.5. She said it was way too low and that I was def not ovulating. She doubled my dosis and now have to go for progestrone tests every month. What should a healty progesterone level be? As far as I can read, anything above 15 medicated is fine and confirms ovulation. She said it must be above 60? I am so confused, so negative and just plain depressed. Please help me to understand the levels.
Thank you so much

Dear Blki

I would suggest that you have a different form of ovulation monitoring since the progesterone level is highly dependent on the period or the stage of ovulation. Occasionally patients even on Clomid or stimulation may ovulate later than expected and therefore the timing of the progesterone test should be according to when ovulation has actually occurred. As this is difficult to predict in retrospect it would be best to use an alternate form of ovulation monitoring such as ultrasound follicle tracking and the progesterone blood test if still indicated or warranted can be done exactly 7 days after the ovulation has taken place to be accurate. In our practice values above 25 are considered to be indicative of ovulation although laboratory values are above 15 have been suggested as a guide.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-03-17

Dear Blki

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert